May 18, 2011

Adventures in Albuquerque continued...


Playing catch- up....

 Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and Man vs. Food are two of my favorite resources for locating great food finds while I'm on the road, especially dive bars.  So of course I had to make the trek out to The Monte Carlo, liqueur store front with a steak house around back.  This local dive was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.  I decided to have the Small Top Sirloin with baked potato and salad.  It was actually really good and especially the low cost.
Small Top Sirloin
 After Dinner I decided to head over to the St Clair Wine Bar and Bistro for dessert.  I was told to have the  Chocolate Port Brownie, but I decided on the Warm Apple Delight instead.  The apple tart was made with a cinnamon apple cider that was very delicate. 

Warm Apple Delight

And of course I love a good wine just as much as the next... but GREEN CHILE WINE!?!?????  That might be taking it a bit too far...

Green Chile Wine?!?
Green Chile Biscuits and Gravy
 Add then came Friday.  And how might you ask do you end such a wonderful week of great food experiences.  Biscuits and Gravy!  But not just any kind...We Southern folk love gravy.  We put it on everything, and before last Friday, I thought it was just about cooking up some flour and water and a little seasoning.  But Nooooo... we have been living in very simple deprived state. Mine eyes have been opened.  and what might you ask were we missing... GREEN CHILE! I met my friend RM and his mom for brunch at the Flying Star an ABQ version of Panera, and when I saw Green Chile Biscuits and Gravy on the menu I had to try it. Love at first bite.  I cannot even image having it the old way again. 

 After leaving Flying Star, we decided to drive down the street to the Frontier for dessert.  They are known for their cinnamon roll.  I didn't get a picture because I was too caught up eating.  What I did get a picture of was the Green Chile Burger that I took with me to the airport for lunch.  As you can see, very simple, but very good. 
Green Chile Burger

My friend and co-work RM tried to prepare me for the many culinary delights in ABQ.  I went in with a very mediocre set of expectations.  But what I left with was a very full belly and an ignited desire to find even more great places on my trip back next week.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad I could be an inspiration. Never did I think that YOU would be telling ME where to eat in ABQ! We will have to go back to ABQ sometime together!

    ReplyDelete