August 19, 2011

Cafe Istanbul - Decatur, GA

So tonight we are celebrating my friend TC's 33rd at Cafe Istanbul Mediterranean Restaurant.
Prior to arriving I quickly checked out the reviews on Yelp which were mixed and did not add to our confidences. And now I sit on the floor basically with my back and butt hurting 15 minutes in. We are in a party of about 28 which alone should tell you this is going to be an adventure.

AP and I just ordered a bottle of wine and watching the shenanigans that come along with loud music, a belly dancer, and a bunch of hilarious people. I don't really know this group, but I already know this is about to be comedy.

While we wait to see when we might actually order food, I can't help but understand one of the key characteristics listed in all of the reviews. Everyone talked about how fun the atmosphere is...well, there is a DJ providing the soundtrack for tonight, and a very diverse full house of people. I am currently finding it a little hard to relax...literally. I am sitting on the floor basically. I cannot count these flat pieces of fabric as actual pillows.

One of the tables was smart enough to order as soon as they sat down, so I went and grabbed a couple of pictures of their food.

Finally my moment arises. I ate a but earlier so was not starving and decided to have just share the house Mezze platter appetizer. Out of the 7 items on the platter, I could only stomach one, the hummus. And stomach is a strong word, there is absolutely no flavor in anything I just ate. I love world foods, I usually choose to eat it over American any day. Baba ghanoush is my absolute favorite thing on earth, and today I am disgusted. Tabuleh which absorbs the flavor that you give it, was absolutely bland, not a drop of flavor. And even though the bread did seem to look appetizing, it was stale. They must have tried to warm it to soften it a bit.

At this point I am going to have to leave hungry... If the basic dishes that are the foundation of the cuisine do not prove to be good, I am not really interested in eating anything more.

This was so disappointing that I had to speak up to management. I never complain, usually only a constructive criticism if the chef or manager stops by... But this was blatantly disgusting...

I love my friend TC, and hope he had a great Birthday... But next time we are picking the restaurant...

Maybe my standards are to high...Eat Bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment