October 13, 2011

Tequila Mueso Mayahuel - Sacramento, CA

As I stop to grab a drink at the Dive Bar, a dimly lit bar with a large fish tank that features mermaids on occasion, the girl next to me mentions the "like fancy mexican restaurant down the street."

On the corner of 12th and K streets I find a cute little spot called 'Tequila Mueso Mayahuel.' As I open the door the music hits me, on the opposite side of the restaurant there is a League of United Latin American Citizens (similar to an NAACP) event going on.

I decided on the Bocaditos de Mexico appetizer, followed by the Chile Relleno de Queso. The Bocaditos is a collection of six bites showcasing the diverse flavors of Mexico. Consisting of conchita pibil, tinga de pollo, chile poblano, shrimp, napoles and requeson. I don't know what half of them are, but can't wait to try them...

First out is the chef compliment Tinga de pollo, with chicken.


Then my bites( starting at top left)... The requesson a brushetta was very nice and almost smooth in flavor, then the Napoles(Cactus), another tinga, next the chile poblano with a nice warm bite, then the baby shrimp taco and finally the shock of the conchita pibil a bit of pork marinated and finished with a bit of orange sweetness.

Chile Relleno, fried perfectly, was very good. Unfortunately, nothing to call home about but still good.

All and all, I agree it's 'fancy' mexican. The chef is creating new dishes while maintaining true to traditional flavors. 

Eat Bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment